Thimphu Tshechu, held in Bhutan’s capital city, was initiated by the 4th Temporal Ruler of Bhutan, Gyalse Tenzin Rabgay in 1867. The festival underwent a change in the 1950s, when the third King Jigme Dorji Wangchuck, introduced numerous Boed chhams (mask dances performed by lay monks). The additions has added colour without compromising the spiritual signi cance. Thimphu festival begins on the 9th day and ends on the 12th day of the eighth Bhutanese month. In general, the four-day Tshechu program consists of twenty-four folk songs and twenty- five sacred dances. Usually the program for each day begins by 9 a.m.
From the year of its establishment in 1687, Thimphu Tshechu was performed inside Trashichodzong courtyard until 2007. However, because of the steady increase in attendees, the inner courtyard became too congested to properly perform the rites. Therefore, to accommodatea growing numbers of viewers, a new Tshechu stadium was constructed and named Tendrel Thang, meaning ‘Auspicious Ground’.